Wednesday 29 December 2010

The Five Day Club

A new year looms, and a new challenge.
Inspired by a few insane chaps on a forum for Coast to Coast walkers, and boosted by my crossing within eight and a half days in the summer, I have decided to tackle the challenge of joining the small band who have managed to complete the 191-mile route inside five days. It will mean some night walking, and I will be ditching the comfort of my Hilleberg Akto tent for a bivi bag to save time and - crucially - weight.
The aim is to set off alone at midnight on 18 June 2011 - when the nights are shortest - and walk the coastal stretch and early section, which is not too challenging, before the sun rises. Not carrying a tent should end the need to plan stops at suitable campsites or wild camping spots on the way. I'm under no illusions and know it will be extremely tough, punishing on my body and that I may fail, just as I did with my first attempt at walking the trail in under ten days. Hence I plan to strip back on equipment to reduce weight as much as possible, and abandon boots in favour of walking trainers throughout.
Here's my early kit list:
Wearing: North Face jacket, fleece, T-shirt, zip-off trousers, SealSkinz, North face Hedgehog GTX walking trainers, Goretex gaiters, headscarf, Timex Ironman watch.
Carrying: iPhone loaded with ViewRanger GPS software and OS maps, Stedman book, 2 x Harvey strip maps, penknife, credit cards, compass, whistle.
Rucksack: Sleeping bag, bivi bag, Petzl Myo XP headlamp, first aid kit, painkillers, spare SealSkinz, Compeed, Puritabs, water pouch, toothbrush, toothpaste, phone charger, spare AA batteries.
I've already booked the time off from work, and I'm already looking forward to it. I still need to plan the distances for each day, though my bivi should mean I am more flexible, and finalize which bivi, one/two season sleeping bag, and rucksack to get. For the bivi, I am looking at the Rab Superlight.
Any suggestions on kit, or tips for the walk, will be gratefully received.

No comments:

Post a Comment